Friday, October 2, 2009

Make Your Mark

On Thursday I had the privilege of attending the CMA’s women’s networking conference called Make Your Mark, chaired by Cathy Preston (Preston Human Capital Group).

It was a very interesting and worthwhile experience. My table was filled with some connected and intelligent women, all of whom had nothing to do with their respective marketing departments. Isn’t that always the way? Still no knowledge is ever wasted – I don’t know how my new understanding of the public affairs department at the gas company Enbridge will benefit me, but you know? It probably will someday.

First up we had a panel of executive women talking about their experiences with the Judy Project (an executive training program for women at the Rotman of Management).
Moderator: Tiziana Casciaro (Professor, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto)
Panelists:
Denise Pickett (President and CEO, AMEX Bank of Canada)
Daryl Aitken (President and Partner, Dashboard)
Susan Ross (EVP and General Manager, Specialty and Pay TV, Corus Entertainment)
Kerry Peacock (EVP Branch Banking, TD Canada Trust)
Colleen Moorehead (Co-founder, The Judy Project and Entrepreneur in Residence, Signal Hill Equity Partners)

Whoof! What a line-up! Some of the highlights from their panel:
• As a great leader you must develop an authentic, sustainable leadership
• You should care more about other people’s success than you do your own
• Always act with intent (specifically with regard to your online presence, emphasis mine)

My favourite line of the event came from Denise: A’s hire A’s, B’s hire C’s. That sent my brain scrambling. I know I’m an A! But I’ve worked for a B or two before… why did they hire me? Must have been an aberration. Totally.

Next up we had Mia Wedgbury, (Founder and CEO, High Road Communications) to discuss The Art of Promoting Yourself. I actually used to work on High Road’s website when I was a project manager for Evoke Solutions. Mia spoke to us about profile building: creating a bio for yourself to highlight what makes you unique and valuable. By being accessible and a media-friendly subject, you bring value and generate interest for your organization. As women we tend to shy away from the spotlight, insisting that we are successful because of our team, but Mia told us that we need to get past this behaviour; we need to embrace the fact our profiles can be assets.

After a short break (in which I ran around trying to find my glasses, which I think I’ve lost) we heard from Susan Barrett (Partner, Leadership Solutions Practice, KnightsbridgeMICA) to discuss positive and productive networking. Networking is a funny topic for some – I have friends who think that if you’re a network-er, you’re somehow responsible for the downfall of civilization.

Susan was a real pistol – the kind of person you just want to be around and work for because she’s so smart, charismatic and put-together – like it might rub off on you if you hung around her long enough. Some of the things she discussed were:
• The strength of weak ties (social networking – getting outside your personal connections)
• It’s not all about you, it’s also what can you do for someone else
• Social capital – the karma bank (which I loved; I’m all about karma and paying it forward)
• Using Host Behaviour; giving people permission to enter

After a very nice lunch (no chicken pot pie – sorry former lunching ladies of the Arcadian Court!) the keynote speaker for the event was Michelle DiEmanuelle (President / CEO, Credit Valley Hospital). Michelle claimed up front to be an introvert at heart and not a public speaker. Michelle, I do not believe you - your presentation was very real and engrossing.

Some of the key points she made that spoke to me:
• Have a plan – every choice you make should leave 3 doors open
• Pick great leaders, not jobs (not always easy when you’re freelance, but a great sentiment!)
• Don’t wait until you have all the pieces before you start something
• Self-calibration is essential, professionally and personally

One of my favourite things she said was “I don’t know how to run a hospital; I do know how to run an organization”. This was particularly resonant with me, as a freelancer I often have to walk into an interview and say, “I don’t know how to use your XYZ CMS system, but I do know how to apply the principles of project management to your organization”. It doesn’t always work.

I also liked her description of the “Grey People”… People who go to work every day, do their thing and then go home – the whole while looking miserable. Michelle said she did not ever want to be like that and I wholeheartedly agree. I can’t imagine anything worse professionally.

A great event, all around! My special thanks to Cathy and Lynda at the CMA for hooking me up to attend.