Saturday, February 6, 2010

Breaking news: the glass IS half-full!

Late last year I reported that the online marketing industry publication Media In Canada was moving to a paid content model. And indeed they did. I never did get a subscription personally, but now that not working freelance anymore, I have access to their content again. This is nice, but I won't deny that there's a residual kernel of resentment every time I open up one of their emails. There may even be some latent fist shaking going on as well. I appreciate the access but it still bugs.

I also reported that I had contacted Marketing Magazine (a competing publication) to ask if they had an intentions to switch to a paid model. I was told over the phone by the customer service department, that Marketing Magazine was considering switching to paid content too.

I had lunch this week with a sales rep for Marketing and mentioned this. She took it back to her peeps and sent me an email shortly thereafter: the report is false! Marketing Magazine has no intention at this time to change to a paid subscription model! The End.

This makes me very happy. As an employee of an association, as opposed to a freelancer, I no longer have to worry about my own personal monies being used for stuff like this. But contrary to my deeply held belief that the world revolves around me (I've had very little empirical evidence to disprove this), there are still a whole bunch of freelance and small business people out there who need every advantage they can get.

Good news for glass-is-half-full types everywhere!