Monday, October 26, 2009

Can you see that I am serious?

One of my favourite Simpson’s episodes was “Mr. Sparkle” where the Simpson’s go to Japan to find an explanation for this ad and to find out why the cartoon character in it shilling dishwashing liquid looks so much like Homer. The best line in the ad is “I’m disrespectful to dirt! Can you see that I am serious?” For convoluted reasons, this became a catch phrase for me used to convey to my friends that yes, I was “just joking” – please forgive my lame attempt at humour and move on. It kind of drove them nuts and everyone was relieved when I stopped saying it.

Recent developments have me thinking I may need to develop an online icon to convey that sentiment. Something beyond “j/k”, “LOL” or good ol' winky face.

To explain: I spend a modest amount of time cruising through various forums, reading people’s comments. I don’t post a lot, mainly because when I do, it becomes this epic saga that doesn’t really befit the medium. But if a topic resonates with me, I’ll put my two cents in. I usually opt-in to be alerted if anyone else posts on the same comment after me – to see what other people’s take on the subject was, but really to see if they commented on my witty ripostes, which is, after all 90% of why people post on online forums anyway. I checked and as of this week, it would appear that – yes! People are reading my posts! Yes, they are responding to my work! Yes, they think I’m a jerk!
Wait, what?

Case #1: I started a thread on a LinkedIn community for project managers. I am, by trade a project manager, but marketing is a very different animal than say, engineering. My post was an amusing explanation of those differences. Result: one response from a gentleman who basically told me I’d better start taking my job seriously because project management is serious business. For serious!

Case #2: An online community for digital marketing issues had a poster asking for advice on what social media platforms are “the best”. My response was along the lines of: I was investigating that same question but I can’t give you an answer because there are so many new things to try, my brain exploded and now I’m spending all my time cleaning off my sofa. Trust me, it was funny. Just go with it. Posters thereafter offered the original thread creator some very good, very earnest advice, telling him not to listen to me as I was clearly hysterical and essentially a complete moron.

Yes, dear readers, it would seem that my sense of humour is not for everyone. I know, I can’t believe it either. Perhaps I need to dial it back a little. I can’t have the world at large gasping and clutching its pearls at me; I’m far too sensitive.

Oh wait, no I’m not. Look, I’m aware that a person has to be mindful about the content they create. Anything put online is essentially “out there” for all to see, if not forever, then for the foreseeable future. All content posted under your name should reflect your “brand”. So I reflect: has my freaky faculty for funny impugned my brand?

You know? I don’t think so. My online contributions pretty much sum up who I am (including this blog –if you’ve read the blog, you’ve pretty much met me) and if I start to edit myself now to pacify a certain segment, what does that say about me?

Wow, this post has really been life-affirming. Thanks, Internet!

And so, in either as grand conciliatory gesture to my critics OR as a giant raspberry aimed at the all the Grumpy McCrankypants (I’m not sure which), I non sequitur to you a few links to online stuff I think is really funny. It’s a real grab bag, so enjoy!

Herding Cats for eds.com. This aired during Superbowl a number of years ago. Best. Commercial. Ever. So on the nose for a marketing project manager, I can’t even tell you.

I’m a big Warcraft adherent and I used to be married to the King of the Geeks (hey, Tim!) so this web series about a bunch of online role-playing game addicts is really entertaining.


The Social Media Guru
(not work-safe – don’t click if you don’t like cuss words, or if you take yourself and your social media career very, very seriously) Thanks to Margaret G. for this link!

Television Without Pity (spare the snark, spoil the networks) is chock full of very funny writers, the kind that make me pea soup green with jealousy. Pea soup green! Not even regular green! It’s gotten to the point where I hesitate to start watching a TV show if they don’t review it because it’s not nearly as fun if I can’t watch the show and then read their recap to see what they had to say about it.

Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. Yes, I have a tragic addiction to romance novels. I’m so over apologizing for it, however. Fortunately SBTN has reassured me that I am not alone. This site has made me snort milk out my nose. Only it was Diet Pepsi, and it hurt and I still go back to read their reviews!