Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The next logical step in film: user-based content

A couple of interesting projects in the works have come to my attention that are attempting to blend traditional film-making with user-based content. Is this the next logical step in film-making or a social media fad? I'm betting on the former. Reality television was greatly derided when it first appeared on the scene, but it has shown conspicuously that it has legs. In our new Twitter/YouTube/Facebook world, user-based movies should be just as compelling.

First up, we have the 5000 Seconds project. The concept is pretty simple: "Become part of a feature film and get paid". In other words, average joes can submit their videos, music or photos, and if selected, their content gets included in a 5000-second collage and seen by the world. They have some impressive people already on board (Emmy and Grammy award-winners) and you really can't underestimate the general public's obsession with sharing their experiences with anyone who will watch. The theme of the collage is submissions that are "inspirational, unique and creative", when put together will form a snapshot of the world in a new and interesting way. I'm very eager to see what they come up with. We always complain about Hollywood productions and how "I could do better". Well now, here's our chance to show what's in our hearts and minds.

5000 Seconds TV interview


The 5000 Seconds website

Secondly, we have the less-socially-responsible-but-funny Star Wars: Uncut. The creators have divided the original film (A New Hope) into individual scenes and have invited fans to re-create them. The result is both intriguing for a social media standpoint and horrifying for a die-hard Star Wars purist, like myself. I don't know if I can bear to see the final result - but I don't know if I can keep myself away... you know, like roadkill.

Star Wars: Uncut article on Pajiba.com

The official website